Effective July 29, the Mascenic Regional School District will be disposing of special education records following the guidelines of EHB-R:
Special Education Records
1. Upon a student's graduation from high school, his or her parent(s)/guardian(s) may request in writing that the District destroy the student's special education records, including any final
individualized education program.
2. The parent(s)/guardian(s) may, at any time prior to the student's twenty-sixth birthday, request, in writing, that the records be retained until the student's thirtieth birthday.
3. Absent any request by a student's parents to destroy the records prior to the twenty-sixth
birthday, or to retain such records until the student's thirtieth birthday, the District shall destroy a student's records and final individualized education program within a reasonable time after the student's twenty-sixth birthday, provided that all such records be destroyed by the student's thirtieth birthday.
4. A permanent record of a student's name, address, and phone number, his or her grades,
attendance record, classes attended, grade level completed, and year completed may be maintained without time limitation. 34 CFR 300.624.
5. The District shall provide parents/guardians, or where applicable, the adult student, with a
written notice of the District's document destruction policies upon the student's graduation with a regular high school diploma or at the transfer of rights, whichever occurs first.
6. The District shall provide public notice of its document destruction policy at least annually.